Friday, May 29, 2009

Mirror Mirror, Part, er, 1.5

Here we are on a lovely lovely Friday and here are the answers to the character descrips I put up on Wednesday.

#1 - I had never been one to covet, but I looked up at her now and suddenly wished I was pretty too. Everyone always told me I looked just like my mother. We had the same straight, dark hair, on my mother it was a compliment to her olive complexion; it made my never-tanned skin look nearly transluscent. My dark eyes only emphasized just how pale I was. (pg. 13) == Complicated by me

#2 - I look into the medicine cabinet mirror and . . . turn from one side to the other, attempting to evaluate my . . . face objectively . . . My nose is now small and delicate, almost perfect . . . sculpted cheeks of Pocahontas . . . my lips, they look . . . fuller or plumper or something. (pg. 70-71) == The Pretty One by Cheryl Klam (1 of 2)

#3 - I should be tan, sporty, blond--a volleyball player, or a cheerleader, perhaps--all the things that go with living in the valley of the sun. Instead, I was ivory-skinned, without even the excuse of blue eyes or red hair, despite the constant sunshine. I was always slender, but soft somehow, obviously not an athlete; . . . I looked at my face in the mirror as I brushed through my tangled damp hair. (pg. 10) == Twilight by Stephenie Meyer

#4 - She gives her straight dirty-blond hair a lesson with a wet comb . . . (pg. 68) == Wake by Lisa McMann

#5 - . . . (think bushy-eyebrowed president of some country you've never heard of). But although my heritage may explain m y stature, thick dark hair, and olive complexion, it's not responsible for my oversized hooked nose, my nonexistent cheekbones, my oversized chin, and last, but definitely not least, my buck teeth. (pg. 3) == The Pretty One by Cheryl Klam (2 of 2)

#6 - . . . all I've done with my short black hair is run my fingers through it. I know I look "undone," but I don't care. (pg. 50) == 4 Letter Word by yours truly ;)

#7 - . . . sun is behind me, melting my sheet of dyed black hair to my scalp. I knew my whole going-Goth decision was going to turn around and bite me . . . (pg. 2) == Grace by - yes, me again

#8 - Out the corner of my eye I could see the ends of my straight, black hair. Flat, lifeless. I glanced back at my cousin and wished I was tall, graceful and had that stop-traffic kind of beauty. Instead, I'm just like every other Asian girl out there: long black hair, brown eyes, and completely ordinary. (pg. 2) == Just Maybe by, well, yeah, me last one though

#9 - . . . so vain about my long blond hair I wouldn't dream of scraping it back into a ponytail and hiding beneath a big hooded sweatshirt. (pg. 3) == Evermore by Alyson Noel

#10 - . . . I felt her hand move down the back of my head, smoothing my red hair, which we did have in common, alther hers was now streaked with an early gray. We also shared our pale skin--the redhead curse or gift . . . as well as our tall, wiry frames. (pg. 11) == Lock and Key by Sarah Dessen

I've truly decided that in all this, so long as I know what my characters look like, that's all that matters. At least in draft 1. We'll work through the rest of it later.

Okay, I know that's sort of a crappy way to close out the week, I'm just running a little low on the inspiration and thought provoking antics as we had a daycare crisis this morning and I've been working this very very very short post for the last 7 hours. That's what you get with a 12 month old who doesn't want to sleep an almost 4 year old who thinks she's a big kid: 2 very excitable assistants and not a whole lotta work done.

I'll have more next week!

Have a great weekend everyone!

No comments: