Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Post-It Revisionocity: Step 2

You printed out your manuscript.

You read your manuscript.

Now what?

Step 2: a) GET the sticky notes.

I try to be consistent with size if I am focusing equally on everything. If not, then I might use smaller ones for low priority thoughts. Bigger ones for higher priority.
Step 2: b) Identify the WHAT you want to focus on and make sure you have enough post-it colors.

This is one of the THE most important things about this revision process. (Given my love for the post-it, you didn't think I would make them inconsequential to this process, did you??) This will help you sort out what it really is that you need to work on. Make sure you have enough post-it notes to cover off all your key revision points.

You might want to write yourself a little legend so you don't forget what key focus goes with each color. I recommend sticking them in a row on your desk or your wall or your first born or something. Just make sure they stick.

Super Sticky post-it notes are very effective for sticking. Just in case you were wondering.

Step 2: c) Go back through your manuscript now, and stop at each * you marked. Identify each one with the color post-it note focus it goes back to. Also, jot down any initial ideas you have to go with this * & post-it.

Rinse. Repeat.

Just kidding.

Just repeat Step 2c.

I'll wait.

Well, actually, you do that. I'll be back.

While I'm gone, anyone want to share what your favorite revising office suppliers are? Is it the perfect pen? The ever-popular post-its? Or something else?

4 comments:

Marquita Hockaday said...

I LOVE Post-its...which is strange that I haven't used them yet for revisions. Must. Start. Doing. That. Now! My second step after hacking the manuscript and writing notes is usually to go through and fix them. I know, lame right? I'm not very good at revising, which is why I'm going to steal all of your steps :)

Unknown said...

Post Its are life-savers! My brain exists on various Post Its throughout the house.

I also make a laundry list of over-arching things to remember through the revision that don't lend themselves to Post It glory. Like bring Character A into the story more, make Character B less whiny, increase the tension between two characters, etc.

I love your new word: Revisionocity.

ali cross said...

Hmm. Not sure. A colored pen is all. *gasp* I know! Perish the thought. ;)

Anonymous said...

I love sharpie pens. Adore them. Can't live without them. Next to them, my favorite pen is a pilot p-500--special order in the store. Clearly, I love my office supplies.

Now I need post-its!