Friday, March 27, 2009

100 Books

I've been thinking about this lately and have decided to give myself a non-writing goal for the year. I say non-writing, but it isn't really. What's the goal, you ask? Well, I've decided that between now and the end of the year, I am going to read 100 books. Now is a subjective term, as I've been thinking about this for a while so I'm actually going to start counting as of this past weekend.

The way I figure it, reading is like background research right? You can only get better at something if you study the craft. In a writer's case, you read. Now, there are lots of lists of books you should read out there, but I don't want to tie myself to those. I am just going to commit to 100 books (and no, the picture books I read to the kids do not count, neither do books that I re-read). Maybe next year I'll reevaluate and try to go through one of those lists. In the meantime, I'm just going to read what looks interesting to me.

In association with this, I'm going to start a new post string titled "Recent Reads." Of course, you can always see what I've read, am reading or are trying to read on my GoodReads page, but if not, I will also start posting my thoughts on my "Recent Reads" here.

Happy reading and have a great weekend!

No comments: