Monday, July 13, 2009

Blocked by the Evil Pencils

I know I've been kind of quiet for the last week. Aside from the weekly quote, I didn't post ANYTHING last week and I feel guilty about that. When I first started this blog, I seriously didn't know what I was doing. I did 3 blog posts in 3 months. That's how pathetic I was. I vowed to be better. And I have been. Since then, I've been consistenly posting, not everyday but I've tried to post at least 3x a week. Except for this past week. I believe my issues bled into my blogging.

My problem (as for many writers/blogger . . . people in general) is that real life just sort of, jumps out at me and Ta-Da! throws my normal routine all out of whack. Real life. Gets me every time, sucking every little tidbit of creative mojo from my brain.

While we're on this whole lack of creative mojo, something I wanted to get out in the open: I've written almost nothing in the last couple of weeks. Revisions, sure. But new wordage. I believe the magic number might be something like . . . 10? That would be words, not paragraphs, pages or chapters. 10 words. I suck. Whew, I feel better just confessing that.

I blame it on the evil pencils . . . no matter that I do almost all my writing with my laptop or notebook & pen . . .

On a different note, I'm going to be attending my first in-person writing group meeting tonight. Totally stoked to meet some new people and learn some things. It has taken me a while, but I think I'm on firmer ground now, with the whole crit group / beta readers thing. (Thanks to everyone who helped point me in the right (write - LOL!) direction!)

4 comments:

Being Beth said...

I'm excited you found a crit. group. Let me know how it goes.

I wonder if holding an artgum eraser while singing incantations will cause the evil pencils to lose their power?

Angie said...

Life happens to everyone. Just because you haven't written much lately doesn't mean there's something wrong with you. You'll get back to it. Hang in there.

Maggie May said...

I've never done a writer's group, and at this point don't know if I want to. I'm always curious to hear about them!

Windy said...

Beth - Thanks so much for helping me find the group! Went to the first meeting tonight and it was really good. I'm looking forward to the next meeting, will keep you posted.

Angie - I think I've just hit a big RL ditch right now. Just working to crawl out of it. ;)

Maggie - This is my first writer's group, but will keep you posted on how it goes.