Tuesday, September 8, 2009

When I Grow Up

I'm going to be a rock star. I'm going to be a newscaster.
I'm going to win the lottery.

I'm going to be a writer was not actually on my list.

Writing was always just something I did and it never occurred to me it could be THE something I did. Funny enough, I realized I answered the "When I Grow Up" question in my VERY FIRST BLOG POST ever. So I'm not going to get into it again.

My question pertains to characters, actually. In my head, I know everything that's happened in most of my character's lives up until their written story begins. That part is unfolding right before my eyes and I'm just there to capture it. Record it. A play-by-play of these characters' lives from when they want to begin sharing their story to when I get to write THE END.

But I've found that I have a hard time leaving my characters alone. I want to know what happens next to these people. To me, they are completely real and I've suddenly become vested in their lives. Mind you, if I wrote horror and just killed everyone off at the end of every novel this could be a pretty moot discussion point, but I don't.

My characters are of the angst-ridden high school variety. Life doesn't end when high school does.

I feel like the stories aren't over when I've finished them. I feel like every single one of my books already has a sequel waiting to be told because my characters' lives aren't over yet!
Does anyone else have this problem, or is it just me? Am I so lame as to become completely obsessed with my characters to the point that ALL of them need full novel-length backstories and sequels (even if they never get written)?

3 comments:

Amanda Bonilla said...

I am totally with you on this post. I'm a sequel/series freak, and I have a hard time letting the story go. I need to keep going--I feel like I can't leave my characters' lives hanging.

Tana said...

I do this too. I spend way too much time thinking through their issues and life stories. it's good to know them, it helps with the work.

Elana Johnson said...

I don't think it's lame. But I really think that only one of my books could actually become a series. The rest are over when they're over.