Friday, March 12, 2010

'Fessing Up

... Home again, home again, jiggity-jig. I can't remember what nursery rhyme that's from, but yay! I'm home again after 4 days back east.

I know I've posted a whole bunch of Recent Reads in the last few weeks, but I have a confession: I have a book on my to-read pile that I'm scared to read. In fact, I'm sitting in my office, writing this blog post and the book is right there, looking back at me. Mocking me. No, not the cute Sarah Dessen cover ... I probably should've rearranged the books before I took this pic ...

Anyway - look at that skull on there. He's totally laughing at me.

You see, I'm a scaredy cat. I don't watch horror movies - well, not ones with ghosts in them. Or zombies, though surprisingly I was mostly okay with the Resident Evil series, but otherwise, yeah, ghosts freak the crap out of me. I mean, I have to sleep with the lights on, TV turned up to drown out creepy noises, kids in bed with me kind of freaked out.

I know.

I'm a wuss.

I've renewed the book twice already and still can't bring myself to read it. But I really want to. Good Lord, I'm lame.

So, uh, yeah. What scares the pants off of you?

9 comments:

Eric said...

LOL, that is so funny. And no, I'm not laughing at you...I'm laughing with you...Really.

Seriously though, there isn't alot that scares me. I'm not a big fan of stories that explore demonic possession, at least to the intricate detail of where it just might be real. Like the exorcist was a movie that scarred me for life. Even the thought of it gives me chills. It's weird though, because I do like scary things. But things that talk about the evil side of religious dogma, as if it were factual just creeps me out. I don't know if that really makes any sense, because I'm not really sure how to describe it. But anyway, yeah that's what scares me I guess.

Windy said...

Eric - I totally agree. That's some scary stuff. Especially when it is right on the cusp of making you question what could be real...

Stephanie McGee said...

I'm a worse scaredy-cat than you. I don't watch anything that might be creepy/scary/spooky. Ghost Whisperer about does me in most of the time. I would never even think about picking up something that was horror in any way.

Sherrie Petersen said...

I don't do scary. Twilight Zone would creep me out as a kid and I wouldn't be able to sleep without nightmares for weeks. So, yeah, if it's scary, I'm not going to read it. Plenty of other stuff out there to fill my brain with :)

Michelle D. Argyle said...

Um, that skull freaks me out, too. I can't read horror or watch it. Why do you want to read that book so badly? It would just keep me up at nights for the next three years, no joke. Not. Worth. It. !

Windy said...

Stephanie - Scaredy cats, UNITE!

Sherrie - You're right. There's a lot out there to fill the little bit of free head space I've still got. Great way to look at it!

Glams - Why ... probably just a morbid curiosity because culturally, I was raised to believe in all this stuff and even though the thought scares me, I'm curious to see how it's portrayed. *shrugs* but it's looking like I'm probably not going to see that...

Anonymous said...

Success. Success in any form scares the pants off of me and down the street.

Tana said...

I don't do horror either! My brain conjures up enough of its own

Mary E Campbell said...

I don't like to read or watch scary either. Life has enough to disturb us - why add to it. You have my permission to just return it to the library and not think about it anymore.