Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Mirror, Mirror Part 2 - Seriously this time

I've been thinking about this a lot lately: what do characters look like.

A brief Twitter conversation during the MTV Movie Awards on Sunday night helped put some more depth around this. I know, I know, you're going, seriously? A Twitter conversation? But please, just follow me here.

For those of you who may have been living under a rock for the last 8 months or so, Twilight was big. The movie. Well, the books too, but we're not talking about those right now. So here's how the conversation went down:

My Tweet:
Is it just me or is Robert Pattinson not nearly as articulate as we'd all like him to be? Either that or he's REALLY good @ being awkward...

ElanaJ:
@windyaphayrath I concur. Eloquent, he is not.

AmandaBonilla:
@windyaphayrath RP is not articulate at all! Maybe it's a chemically induced stupor ;)

Me:
@ElanaJ appreciate the support on that. Now must duck and cover from Team Edward, as they hunt down all those w/negative R.Patt thoughts.

ElanaJ:
@windyaphayrath I'm on Team Edward. Just not Team Pattinson. Team book. Not Team movie. Yanno?

AmandaBonilla:
@ElanaJ Team book all the way!

Me:
@ElanaJ I'm glad you can separate Edward from Rob, cuz a lot of peeps out there can't and those are the scary ones.

And yes, those are the scary ones, but I digress.

The point of this post: how do you see your characters, and I don't mean their personality.
How many of us, while reading Twilight, saw Rob Pattinson-yanno, Cedric Diggory from Harry Potter? Probably not many of us.
With that, how to convey what you see in your head to your readers?

Okay, so this may be part 2 of the post, but I'm no where closer to an answer than I was in part 1 or part 1.5.

Just throwing out my thoughts, I guess. Feedback welcome. Encouraged. Begged for.

Have a great Tuesday!

1 comment:

Tana said...

True I do cast my own characters when I read. It's so fun like a personalized movie.