Monday, February 16, 2009

The Flu, The Economy and Other Fun Fortunes

So it's been a while, yes. I believe it has much to do with the fact that the flu has been running rampant through our entire family! Current victim, and last to be struck? Me. While everyone was sniffling and coughing and runny noses were everywhere, I was fine. And now, everyone's fine (almost) except me. (yeah, I know . . . whine, whine, whine.)

Moving on. I read an interesting blog from Chuck Sambuchino in regards to the state of getting published in our current economic times. I really liked how simple he made it: Getting published has always been hard. Getting published in a down economy is maybe only 20% harder even if it feels like the whole world is against you. What it really boils down to, and is the general consensus (that I've read anyway) of agents is to just keep writing and making everything the best it can be. Honestly, that's all anyone can do, right? To use an already over-used cliche, the cream will rise to the top.

Maybe that's just me trying to stay positive in a less than positive environment, but I'm at the point now where I'd just rather look at the bright side of things. There's no reason to hang on to negativity and let it ruin a perfectly good (if a bit dark and snowy) day. Besides, my fortune cookie from dinner the other night said: The current year will bring you much happiness. Why not look at the bright side of things, even if it's only to help that along?


No comments: