Thursday, April 9, 2009

Throwdown!

Current WIP (FLW) Wordcount: 26,097 - Goal: 60,000

Yesterday on her blog ElanaJ issued a Writer's Throwdown for anyone interested to commit to a writing goal. I threw my hat in right away. I have heard other writers say they have goals of 1,000 words a day or the like, but I had never committed myself to this. This is where the guilt came from. Because I didn't have a goal to be accountable for and anyone who may check in to help keep me motivated, sometimes I would go days and days without writing anything new only for this to culminate in a week of sleepless nights and several thousands of pent up words spewing forth. For some people, maybe this is still a good route to go. For me, it didn't used to be a big deal. But now, with two small children who do not understand the concept of "sleeping in" this is not really a great option anymore.

So the goals I've committed to?
500 new words/day for the next 30 days. This will make 15,000 new words in the next 30 days.
Also, a secondary goal is relating to my completed ms (JM) which is in revision stages. This is to edit 1 chapter a day, with 26 chapters, it will be pacing right along with the WIP project.

So here I go.

Good luck to anyone else joining the Throwdown!

3 comments:

Michelle D. Argyle said...

I won't be joining in, but I wish you luck! I save all that word count goal stuff for November during NaNoWrimo. It just about kills me. :D

Windy said...

Thanks, Lady Glamis! As I said, this is the first time I've committed myself to a "quota" per se, so we'll see how it all works out.

As for NaNoWriMo - I'm still in the consideration stages...

Eric said...

You're doing great so far, so be proud. It doesn't matter what gets you to write, whether its guilt or just drive. As long as you're writing, you're doing what you should be doing.