Thursday, August 20, 2009

Thursday Thought: Location, Location, Location

Last Thursday while I was in Mexico City with work I brought up the thoughts about settings in stories. Real or make-believe, I think where a story takes place is as important as the characters the story is about. The setting is almost another character itself, because places have so many facets that make them what . . . where they are. All locations have a personality and that's something to keep in mind in your writing.

In my recent travels, I've found that being out of my element really helped keep my creativity refreshed and introduced me to a few places with very different personalities.


So, I'm continuing last Thursday's Thought to share a some pics from a few places I've been in the last few months.


The view out my hotel room door in San Juan, Puerto Rico.

This is the view out my hotel room balcony in San Juan, Puerto Rico.

A definite Yin / Yang situation here.
* * * * * *






A couple pictures of the amazing Utah / Nevada desert. Don't mind the glare, that desert sun is HOT!
* * * * * *




A couple pictures of Mexico City. So different from what I imagined, but exactly what I've seen in movies and on TV.

So there you have it, a few places that have inspired me.
What are your inspirations for your settings? How do you pick your settings? Or do your settings pick you?

No comments: