Wednesday, August 5, 2009

WiP Wednesday: Laptop-less


This past weekend I accidentally left my laptop at the office. I didn't have a chance to go get it and I have to say, I felt like I was missing a limb. Ever sympathetic, my husband pretty much did this:

We do have a family PC at home, but the word to emphasize there is FAMILY, so I am NOT allowed to monopolize it, no matter how much I'd like to. Most of my writing is done at home, swapping between my laptop and desktop via flash drive, making it so at any given time I have my work saved in 3 different places. (More on backing up your work at the QueryTracker blog.)

In defense of my dear husband, though he may not completely understand the "writing thing" as he calls it, he has provided me with a whole slew of awesome notebooks to pack around with me.

They are big enough to last a while, small enough to fit in my handbag - more on this later this week - and are inspiring to look at in and of themselves. So as I've been finagling my way through my latest wip and have been inspired by a couple more thoughts, I've found that I'd be lost without my notebook. They have been great for ideas and have even helped me keep my random Post-It Note jotting in order.

So this weekend, all my thoughts were recorded in one of these beautiful books, awesome in their own right. And thanks to their awesomeness (and size allowing for them to be ever-present) I did a whole lot of jotting, thoughts ideas, more outlining of my overall story arc. Yep, sometimes, getting out of the techie-ness of writing proves to be a very good thing.

These little notebooks are also abfab when you are stuck in a very snug coach seat for a 4 1/2 hour flight and need something to work on! Any tech-less must haves that you tote around?

1 comment:

Elana Johnson said...

Man, your notebooks are so much kewler than mine! But no. I take a notebook everywhere. And a CD with all my stuff on it. Seriously. I have my stuff backed up, but that CD still goes in my purse. Every week. Anal? Perhaps. :)