Wednesday, August 19, 2009

WiP Wednesday: Listening to Yourself

The new thing I have finally been convinced into trying is the read aloud editing method. So literally, listening to yourself read your book. The first few pages, it felt weird. I kept going and now, 75 pages in, I'm amazed at the transformation. Thank you, Track Changes, for showing me how much progress I've made!

Reading my manuscript out loud has given me a whole new perspective on my project and though I'm in the final editing stages (75 pages in, I've only dropped about 500 words), what I have done just feels CLEANER!

I think that's the real "WiP Wednesday" update, but the whole listening to yourself thing has gotten to me on another level.

Some of the feedback I've received on these and other projects in the back has been fabulous and insightful and really helped me improve my writing and storytelling. It's always great to hear someone tell you they love your story, it is very motivating to keep writing. The funny thing about telling someone a story sometimes is the "it was really good, but . . ."

By this I mean, when someone suggests plot changes.

I've tried really hard in my critiques to understand the motivations of the writer & their characters. In essence, this is their story and I'm just along for the ride.

I understand giving suggestions about maybe moving a paragraph to a bit earlier in the chapter, or even flipping a couple chapters around is one thing, but that's not what I'm talking about.

How do you handle critiques when someone gives you suggestions that would cause you to change cause-and-effect situations and possibly all of your characters' motivations? Doesn't this change it from being your story to being theirs?

Would love to hear your thoughts!

No comments: